|Gautam J. Desai, DO, FACOFP
Gautam J. Desai, DO, FACOFP
Gautam J. Desai, DO, FACOFP is Professor, Division of Primary Care, at Kansas City University. He has been active in the education of medical students and residents for over 15 years. He is also the Director, Honors Track in Global Medicine at KCU.
Dr. Desai has led medical missions to different countries such as Guatemala, Kenya and the Dominican Republic, exposing him to a variety of healthcare delivery systems. He finds it rewarding to help patients worldwide and show the medical students the value of a career in family medicine and primary care.
Dr. Desai has over 50 peer-reviewed publications on a variety of topics in print, textbooks, encyclopedias and digital publications. He has presented nationally and internationally on a variety of topics related to medical education and Osteopathic Manual Medicine.
Dr. Desai serves on numerous committees with the AOA, ACOFP, the AOA's Council on CME, the National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiner's Clinical Skills Testing Advisory Committee and the NBOME’s SOAP Note Fabrication Subcommittee. He has been the Principal Investigator on many grants, including the Achieving Diversity in Medicine and Dentistry Grant and the Educational Development for Complementary and Alternative Medicine Grant. He is also the Immediate Past President, DOCARE International Board of Trustees.
- Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine - Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Internship and Residency in Osteopathic Family Medicine - Riverside Osteopathic Hospital
- Case Author of the Year for COMLEX-USA, National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners
- Robert A. Klobnak Award, Individual Outstanding Accomplishments within DOCARE International
- Ingram’s Magazine Heroes in Healthcare Award, Medical Missions and Volunteerism
- Fellow - ACOFP
- Perloff A, Smeltzer K, Cox W, Desai G, E-cigarettes: Facts for the Osteopathic Family Physician, Osteopathic Family Physician, Vol 10 No 2 (2018)
- Smeltzer K, Desai G, Johnson B, Ethical Considerations in Prescribing or Withholding Opioids for Chronic Pain, Osteopathic Family Physician, Vol 9 No 3 (2017)
- Tylski E, Desai G, Transitioning from a Practicing Physician to a Mission Director: Addressing Safety Issues, Maryland Medicine, March 2013, Vol 14, no 1
- Sun C, Desai G, Pucci D, Jew S: Management of Musculoskeletal Disorders: Does the Osteopathic Profession Demonstrate Its Unique and Distinctive Characteristics? Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, April 2004, vol 104, no. 4
- Legg J, Desai G (2015). Delirium. In Domino FJ (Ed.), The 5-Minute Clinical Consult 2015, Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins