Members of the Conclave of Fellows may sponsor a candidate for the ACOFP Fellow Award. To qualify, all nominees must be sponsored by a current member of the ACOFP Conclave of Fellows and submit a letter of support from their ACOFP state affiliate society.
Please review the qualifications and requirements to consider honoring one of your colleagues or applying:
Candidates must be an active dues-paying member of ACOFP for at least six consecutive years.
- Candidates must be certified by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) or the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS).
- Candidates must have served a one-year AOA-approved internship or its equivalent. In the event the nominee has not served a one-year AOA-approved internship or its equivalent, the nominee shall have been an active dues-paying member of ACOFP for at least eight consecutive years prior to nomination.
- Candidates must actively participate in and support local hospital, state and national osteopathic organizations and ACOFP state affiliate societies.
- Candidates must have contributed outstandingly through teaching, authorship, research, professional leadership as a moderator or presenter at a national ACOFP event.
- Candidates must have attended a minimum of at least six ACOFP Annual Convention & Scientific Seminars or AOA Annual Osteopathic Medical Conference and Exposition in the immediate past 10 years.
- Candidates must submit and attest to being the primary author of an unpublished scientific paper pertinent to family medicine and suitable for publication.
- Sponsors and candidates must submit the required scientific paper attestation signed form, signed application and award fees.
Complete the 2024 Fellow Award application by September 15, 2023 for consideration. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
If you need assistance finding a sponsor, please contact email@example.com.
DISTINGUISHED FELLOW AWARD
The ACOFP Distinguished Fellow Award acknowledges those Fellows who have distinguished themselves through contributions and service to ACOFP by convention attendance, as well as by their support of the ACOFP’s local and national governance and committees. .
Each candidate must fulfill a minimum of four of the five Category One requirements below since their Fellow induction year:
- Financial Support | Contributions of at least $1,500 total to the ACOFP Foundation, Auxiliary to the ACOFP, ACOFP speaker honorarium donations and other donations to ACOFP committee activities or educational program development. Political contributions do not qualify.
Fellow Sponsorship | Sponsorship of three or more completed Fellows.
- Academic Service | Participation in osteopathic education, not as part of their regular job. Academic service includes presenting or moderating at an ACOFP national or state convention, precepting osteopathic medical students or having residents on rotation as an elective in a private office setting. Documentation must be provided of at least three of instances of service.
- National ACOFP Committee Service | Participation on a national ACOFP committee, task force, delegate, AOBFP Board of Directors or ACOFP Board of Governors for at least 10 years.
- State or Local Service | Participation on an osteopathic family medicine related committee, task force, delegate, ACOFP state society board or local medical/hospital board.
Each candidate must have attended at least 20 ACOFP Annual Convention & Scientific Seminars or AOA Annual Osteopathic Medical Conference and Exposition since their Fellow induction year. No more than half of the meetings can be virtual only.
- Fellows who actively served in the military may request a waiver of this requirement after five years of active Fellowship.
Complete the 2024 Distinguished Fellow Award application by December 1, 2023 for consideration. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
The Pathway to Fellowship and Leadership
Looking for more insight into the path to Fellowship as a physician? Jan Zieren, DO, MPH, FACOFP dist., shares words of encouragement and outlines how to be recognized with this esteemed award, as part of the Women's Leadership Committee presentation.